2018 Shaking Hits: Little Dark Age album review

by Erica Jane, Entertainment Editor

Album Title: Little Dark Age

Record Label: Columbia Records

Release Date: February 9, 2018

Rating: 6.5/10

New music is hard to find. It’s worse when every album is a replay of the last. MGMT, a renowned, acid-jazz and pop smash band, can solve all your problems. Ever since their debut with “Electric Feel,” ten years ago, the duo took a collective break.  Their focus honed into the appeal of music- what would catch their audiences’ eye? Like a blessing, MGMT released Little Dark Age on February 9th. The album is an experimental headbanger. With a whole ten tracks with ten different moods, Little Dark Age is an album definitely worth the wait.

“She Works Out Too Much” immediately gives fans a cyber-chase and cynical splash of color. It’s painted with sarcasm and a certain bitterness that could be only be comical. The duo claims that “She Works Out Too Much” was inspired by Tinder; the song tells a story about a couple obsessed with working things out, but failing miserably: “Sick of liking your selfies / Should’ve gone with my gut / Maybe I’m in a movie / Maybe I’m out to lunch.” Fully equipped with a dangerous synthesizer that brings bells of energy and a steady base, “She Works Out Too Much” is an easy step in the right direction.

From painstakingly optimistic to dreadfully moody, “Little Dark Age,” the second track and singular motif of the album, is a breath full of fresh air. It’s dark, secretive and every corner you turn, you’re hit with an overwhelming feeling of peace. It’s definitely a track you would hear in a horror film. The corroding, but electrified pounce of the synthpad gives the song a prowling sensation: “Forgiving who you are / For what you stand to gain / Just know that if you hide / It doesn’t go away.”

“One Thing Left to Try” is a flash from the past. It reminisces on MGMT’s hit, “Electric Feel.” The selective usage of an echo followed with a keyboard full of surprises, “One Thing Left to Try” is a pack of positivity, with a heavy undertone: “If you looked into the fire / And you had that conversation / Then there’s one thing left to try / If you want to save your life.”

Little Dark Age’s exclusive and third track, “When You Die,” is a personal favorite. It’s a bumpy ride of emotions; the feeling “When You Die” evokes is one of a kind. It’s rough, but conveys its bitter message completely. “When You Die” picks fun at those who take on a double personality to get by: “I’m not that nice / I’m mean and I’m evil / Don’t call me nice / I’m gonna eat your heart out / I’ve got some work to do.”

Though the album itself was pleasant to listen to, I feel that many of the songs repeated itself. The battle between experimental and edgy was used almost perfectly. Although there were overused themes, the amazing instrumentals and onslaught of vocals made up for it.

Little Dark Age consumes fans into a psychedelic ride and saves them from the basic humdrum of life. It’s fresh, authentic and definitely an album that’ll give you a ride for better or for worse. MGMT’s work never ceases to amaze fans around the world.