Netflix Hit or Miss: Black Mirror, Season 4

Back to Article
Back to Article

by Erica Jane, Entertainment Editor

Psychologically disorienting, nerve-wracking and haunting, Black Mirror creates an uneasy but addicting atmosphere to immerse viewers. Debuting in late 2011, Black Mirror offers a series of disconnected and crazed alternate universes; the story drags the audience bit by bit. Jam-packed with suspense you can cut through with a knife, Black Mirror offers four seasons. The subtly in Black Mirror’s influence is beautiful. It works under your skin and compels viewers to second guess the world around them. Is a technologically advanced society really what we want?

The past seasons are everything a sci-fi buff would adore. The tricky subject of social media, interdependence with technology, communication and re-connection are all sprinkled throughout Black Mirror. It isn’t in your face, nor is it foreboding and boring to watch. Every topic that humanity fears is intricately embedded in these episodes.  

In season 4, the simplicity of every episode is almost laughable. Charlie Brooker, the program creator, aims for quality over quantity. Although the cinematography in Black Mirror is gauging, it isn’t the only thing you’ll drop your jaw at. Every character introduced in Season 4 offers a slice of humanity we all carry in ourselves, whether it be a driven leader or an overworked lone wolf, every protagonist reflects the demons humanity hides. Of course, it wouldn’t be dubbed as a darker “Twilight Zone” for its relatable characters and loony plots. Season 4 is a wonderfully written account of how delightful humanity could end up as an advanced hive-mind, but at the same time, how dangerous it is to rely on fragmented pieces of memory saved onto your computer.

While every episode dances around 40 to 85 minutes, like a mini-movie, it blesses us with the insight we’ve never seen before. Episodes like USS Callister, featuring an upside-down Star Trek, drives fans to the wall. With a close knit unit and bright minds, USS Callister showcases the brilliance of working in teams.  However, episodes like ArkAngel and Metalhead, disagree; the power of two, more often, leads to an unfavorable outcome.

Directed by Jodie Foster, ArkAngel is a fan-favorite to those who favor the “independent” film vibe. The emotions are raw, steadfast and a little too real. Metalhead is no better: it will have you on the edge of your seat, gnawing into your nails and praying for the best for our heroine.

Don’t let Black Mirror’s evident appeal towards dystopia keep you from watching this whirlwind of the introspective future. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Hang the DJ brings a sweet, rom-com pitched couple, and the season’s finale, Black Museum gives you a taste of justice you’ll never tire of. Though Black Museum proves to be difficult to sit through, the wave of relief consumes the audience and leaves us wanting more.

Peppered and strung with captivating imagery, characters, plot and soundtracks, Black Mirror is a definite hit. Season 4 will leave you speechless, hungry and crawling for the next season.