Meet Sheridan Reed

Back to Article
Back to Article

Meet Sheridan Reed

David Beck at @davidbeckphotos

David Beck at @davidbeckphotos

David Beck at @davidbeckphotos

by Eli Duncan, Opinions Editor

Music, above anything else, has been a huge factor in society in recent years. It has been one of the few things that unify everyone regardless of what they believe. If someone likes a band or a solo musician, they will go see them live with hundreds of other people just because they all like this one group or person. Though not as popular as the Migos or Lil’ Pumps in the world, there is a huge following for genuine music. Local artists are a rare and unique breed of musicians who want to play with heart and soul instead of with a computer and words people cannot truly understand. Sheridan Reed is one of those musicians.

Sheridan Reed is local in Austin, Texas playing in some of the coolest, most hipster spots in the hippie town. Spots like Rhino Room, a little bar in Austin’s east side, and Red Horn Coffee House & Brewing Co. in Cedar Park are places that highlight what Mr. Reed embodies in his music. Red Horn is where I saw him perform and every time I travel back there, I aim to see him.

Reed started playing music in school where he chose to play the clarinet, which he continued to play for five years before branching out to other instruments. He finally landed on guitar and singing which he stuck with by performing covers and eventually starting to write his own music.

“Family definitely had a big influence and were always very encouraging for music,” explains Reed, “My brother was a big inspiration as after high school he moved away to play music with his band and that definitely made me think that pursuing music wasn’t totally crazy.”

The music industry is tough to be a part of, and that is no secret to people. Despite that, Sheridan still loves playing and released the “I’ll Be Fine” and has already written his next full-length album and is just waiting to record it

“I can’t wait to record this next album, which has the best songs I’ve ever written to date in my opinion. You’re gonna dig it,” he says.

Reed is a music lover. Whether it is when he is playing it or when he is listening to it, he loves music. He has listened to multiple genres and has grown to appreciate them all and reflects what he is listening to into what he is writing. He is currently listening to a lot of soul, R&B, and funk and is playing neo-soul/pop but explains that his music is always changing and evolving.

He has listened to alternative rock, indie folk, and has grown to like some country and southern rock from his time in the South. Reed does not stick to particular genres but instead listens to what has a good sound.

“Every genre has merit, there’s just a different season for everything,” he adds.

No matter the art that is produced, whether it be music or photography, there is some inspiration for the content that is produced. Reed’s art is no different. He takes inspiration from Sufjan Stevens and not because they produce the same genre of music.

The reasoning was purely character and musicianship as Reed explains,“Sufjan Stevens is an incredible inspiration, as far as how much he writes, to the vulnerability of his lyrics, his incredible composition and production, and his change and growth as a musician over the years.”

That mentality was shown the aforementioned “I’ll Be Fine ”, which was released earlier this year. I first heard about this album when he performed “We Should Both Be Here” at Red Horn. His covers were good, but his original was on a whole new level. He performed it with pride and passion, not praise. His album is amazing and I cannot recommend it enough.

“I’ll Be Fine” was definitely the work to date that I’m most proud of. It was my first step into the genre that I want to explore since being in Austin, and I think the final product turned out better than I could have hoped,” says Reed.

Despite how good the album was, he still aims to do better.

“Even though this is far from my first album that I’ve done, every time I record a new project I learn something new about how I can improve and what to do better next time,” he explains.

With a true passion for music and what he does and an ever-growing following,  Sheridan Reed has no plans to slow down. His musical ideas and the quality of music he produces, there is no telling where he can go except up. Soon you will be saying that you listened to him before he was cool.

“A short-term goal for my career is to record the next full-length album that I’ve already written, and long-term, I’m going to be leaving Austin in June to travel around the US and play everywhere that I go! After that, who knows. I’ll have to see what opportunities come my way!” Reed tells me.

He is currently trying to figure out which studio he wants to record with and is in talks with people about the South by Southwest music festival in Austin but could not give any more detail than that.

His music can be found on all platforms digitally by looking up Sheridan Reed.

You can also follow his Instagram @sheridanreed to follow his activities and updates about future projects.