A Punny Article

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Punny Article

by Jordy Selznick, Reporter

I don’t want to get to curried away here, but it appears that puns are having a bit of a renaissance. From punny t-shirts to coffee cups emblazoned with pun-liners, having fun with the English language never gets old.

In fact, the practice of this pun-derful practice dates back to ancient history. Social archaeologists have uncovered the ancient Mayan practice of K’ehel K’op. This was a fun activity that occurred during festivals where verbal duelers would hurl salty insults at one another.

There are technically four different types of puns: the homophonic pun, the homographic pun, the homonymic pun, and the portmanteau pun.  A pun in which two words sound the same but mean two different things is homophonic. Take for instance, “He Czech-ed visiting Prague off of his travel bucket list.” The homographic pun occurs when two words sound different but are spelled the same such as, “You can tune a guitar but you can’t tuna fish.”

A homonymic pun is used when two words sound the same and are spelled the same and are usually used within a larger joke. For instance, “I felt unsettled inside so I had an evening out.” Finally, the portmanteau pun is a combination of two words like “chillax,” “bridezilla,” or “brunch.”

While puns and wordplay of this sort are popular across all languages in every culture, they are especially popular in the English language. Because English is an amalgamation of many other languages, there are more words to “play” with. The sheer volume and variety of words in English lead to a high potential for punslinging.

So, the next time you’re in English class reading Shakespeare and Romeo says, “You have dancing shoes with nimble soles, but I have a soul of lead” you’ll thank me for this punderfully informative piece about puns. Orange you glad you read this punny article?