The Longshot EP

by Jake Grosvenor, Opinions Editor

For months front-man of Green Day, Billie Joe Armstrong, has teased devoted fans with scribbled names in red and white text and audio clips for his latest side project The Longshot.

Fans were left with very little information on what exactly Billie had been up to since the conclusion of the phenomenal RevRad Tour for his new Green Day album. After multiple posts of faces covered with the words “The Longshot” it wasn’t too soon before he linked to a private Instagram page with the bio “ New Album ‘Love is for Losers’ coming eventually sooner or later. Probably sooner,” finally giving fans some idea of what we could expect next from him.

This page had been private with only a few hundred followers including Billie himself, his wife Andrea, his son Joey, and his latest side project’s Instagram page for The Coverups, a band that played live and did covers of songs but didn’t put out an album. Whoever was running The Longshot account quickly let a few requests at a time follow and fans were sharing what they saw on sites like Reddit and Twitter to let those still waiting to be accepted in the loop. Even with insiders getting access to the page of the mysterious project, little was known of what the project would entail. We still have no idea who’s in the band except for Billie himself, even after the EP dropped. Besides that all we had was a list of songs, two of which were on Billie’s 2016 movie Ordinary World, “Body Bag” and “The Devil’s Kind,” and the title of the album “Love is for Losers.”

After a few weeks of teasing fans with audio clips and cryptic responses to fans comments that mostly included winking emojis when asked about details, we finally got the first release for The Longshot on April 9th.

A radio channel had gotten a hold of the song “Love is for Losers” and fans recorded the song and jumped to YouTube to upload the first song of what is still a somewhat mysterious project from Billie. The song was a hit amongst fans with a sound that mixed the best of old and new Green Day and lyrics that gave listeners confirmation that this album would not be political and about love.

“Love is for Losers” took the spotlight in the Green Day community quickly with praise of its lyrics like “Well we all got our delusions, say goodbye to an old flame,” and “Hey kid, love is for losers now.” It was clear from this first song that the title for this album was apt in describing the overall theme of Billie’s new project.

Its beat was catchy, the guitar was killer, and the lyrics had meaning and substance like hardcore fans of Green Day or Billie had come to expect from the 46-year-old artist.

Not too soon after fans were vibing to “Love is for Losers” we received two more songs on April 11th  for what would be combined with “Love is for Losers” and released as “The Longshot EP.”

The second song on this EP is “Chasing a Ghost” and like our first taste of the band, we got great guitar riffs, strong drum beats, and even more melodramatic love lyrics.

“Chasing a Ghost”  discuss what it’s like being alone and longing for a love that’s long since past, and in my opinion has an even deeper meaning than “Love is for Losers.” “Love is for Losers” acted as the prologue to the album summing up the message that love is for losers and “Chasing a Ghost” is the first chapter of that idea.

The lyrics to “Chasing a Ghost” is what you’d expect from a punk song about love, instead of the sappy hopeful lyrics of how beautiful love is and how we bounce back from heartache, this song embraces the hard emotions we all deal with when looking for the old flame we had to say goodbye to, trying to fill a void.

“But when the thrill is gone, and I’m staring at my phone, thanks for the company but I’m still standing alone,” and the lines following “I’m feeling like a moron, bitter and withdrawn, standing in the shadows, where are the good times gone? I got the tears oh baby, crying in my soul,” are beautifully sad lyrical representations of a punk’s view of heartbreak and being alone.

The final song we got was “Taxi Driver” and it is a great final tease to what we can only hope is the soon to be released album “Love is for Losers.”

“Taxi Driver” takes on the struggle of getting away and going anywhere except where you are. The opening lines “I’ve got a suitcase in my hand, I don’t know just where I am, so take me to my destination. I don’t want a ride, I need a lift.” embodies the feeling of itching to start over and move on but not knowing where to go except far away. Like it’s aforementioned songs, “Taxi Driver” has a great guitar riff and drums to match, with lyrics that keep the spirit of punk while commenting on love at the same time.

As we wait for the full release of The Longshot’s first album or the next vague message from Billie that leaves us hunting like dogs for the faintest scent, “The Longshot EP” is a great tease to what is to come and is a must listen for any fan of Green Day or Billie Joe Armstrong and his multitude of projects. I look forward to what he has to give us next in regards to The Longshot.