Why Dress Code is Important

by Joseph David, News Editor

The school dress code debate has raged on for an eternity. One side claims that school dress code is inherently sexist and bias toward one specific group of people. They also propagate the idea that dress code in school is unnecessary. I would beg to differ, and decree that dress code is in fact important and needed.

School dress code is applicable to both genders. There is no bias intended or to be drawn from. Dress code, in fact, should not just solely and strictly pertain to private schools but also to public as well. Schools should go so far as to have students wear uniforms. There is no harm in giving students uniforms or for students having to pay a small fee. The problem is that there is far too much controversy when it comes to what students can and cannot wear. If all students were to wear uniforms the problem would be blown out of the water for good. The line as to what is appropriate and inappropriate is far too broad. However, school is a learning environment and some clothes that students wear would make a school appear otherwise. For example, for boys, slippers and slippers with socks is a rapidly arising look. To say the least, it looks silly and does not fit in within the school environment. Students are at school, not at the beach. Then you have sagging pants, the most ridiculous of all styles. Girls are often in the spotlight when it comes to dress code.

Many females feel that dress code revolves around them because it seems that more than half the time they are on the receiving end. The rules often delegate a certain length when it comes to the length of the clothing and female attire. There is a wide spectrum when it comes to female clothing that is the cause of much speculation when it comes to dress code. However, see through clothing and clothing that makes the wearer appear half-naked is certainly not appropriate. All to often have I seen girls in the classroom look surprised when they get dress coded when it is clearly apparent that the stuff they are wearing (if anything at all) is totally inappropriate. There is simply far too much exposed. School is a not a nightclub. Another point would include strange and unnatural hair colors, such as green or blue.

All too often have I heard the notion that people have to express themselves, which indirectly implies that dress code is bad and that people should be able to wear whatever they want. The truth is that you can where whatever you want, but some things just don’t fit within the learning environment that is school. Outside of that, you can wear whatever. Express your ideals, morals and your mind, not through walking around with green hair like a clown, sagging pants, or see through clothing. True expression comes from the mind and within. There is a difference between self-expression and trying to gain attention. Self expression is true power. Gaining attention is a fallacy. Decency is a much needed characteristic in 2018. Decency intertwines a base of internal goodness and is indicative of ones outside reflection. All too often in 2018 do people let things go, accept things, and constantly deny the truth and lie about what is good, bad, and ugly, all for the sake of appeasement. Wear whatever you want, uphold decency, and ensure that school remains as a learning environment.