How Fortnite Took Over the World

by Eli Duncan, Opinions Editor

If you are a human with ears and a Snapchat, you have undoubtedly heard about or have seen Fortnite every day without fail. Even in the wake of PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS’ (PUBG) success, this battle royale game rose to the top and became one of the most successful games in recent years.

In the beginning, Fortnite was a survival based game that was described as “Minecraft meets Left 4 Dead” by the game’s developers, Epic. But the development switched over to the battle royale game mode which was released as a free to play beta while development went on.

Somewhere along the way, Fortnite became the most popular game in recent years and “#1 Victory Royale” popped up on every guys’ Snapchat story and the phrase “Where we droppin’ boys?” has become synonymous with the new gaming culture.

Fortnite is the third popular game that followed the arena style battle royale gameplay, coming after H1Z1 and the aforementioned PUBG. On paper, the concept of these games is not all that exciting. 100 players drop in on a map, search for weapons, and kill other players until there is one person left.

What Fortnite does differently is the ability to gather wood, metal, and brick to build forts (I know, crazy idea.) In PUBG, this is replaced with static environments and vehicular combat instead. The ability to build forts and walls adds a level of depth in an otherwise straightforward game. These walls force players to adjust their fighting or defense tactics making each fight in every game fun and different.

You can utilize launch pads, spike traps, and campfires to your advantage while fighting on a custom built tower or being a troll and breaking the bottom tier of any building and watch your foe fall the ground to pick up his loot.

This not to say that PUBG and H1Z1 do not offer anything like that, Fortnite just simply does it better and more effectively.

Fortnite is one of the few times a new intellectual property has been appealing to the casual gamer and the hardcore competitive gamer, something that not even Bungie could do with the releases of Destiny and Destiny 2.

This game also came at a time when the battle royale game type is relatively new and is peaking in popularity, unlike the classic first-person shooter that Bungie tried to latch onto with their Destiny franchise. Alongside the increase in popularity, Epic released Fortnite at a time when gamers were looking for something to play.

Destiny 2, Call of Duty: WWII and Star Wars Battlefront 2 were all failures of games so people were looking for something to turn to. At the time, PUBG had been out for months. Knowing this and the fact that gamers only have the capacity to love a new game for a short time, Epic released their game at the perfect time to attract fans.

Fortnite did what PUBG would not or could not do at the time and released a console version and then a mobile version. There was no excuse for gamers to not play this game, that was free-to-play with optional microtransactions that only added cosmetics. Fortnite became the white knight in gaming for 2017 and in 2018 while other major games were getting torn apart by critics and fans alike.

Critics see the money that this game has the potential to make on full release and fans love the feeling they get when they see “#1 Victory Royale” pop up on their screen or even their friends’ screen.

This game has brought back the classic fun of going to a friends house and watching them play a game again. Hundreds of videos have popped up on the internet showing a group of guys watching one friend play Fortnite and winning. They all scream and high five and take out their phone to join the trend of posting every win on Snapchat, even if everyone they have added hates it.

Fortnite is a rare case in which every gamer can find merit in the game. The only people that have an undying hate for it are the girlfriends that lost their boyfriends to Tilted Towers and dropping in with the boys. Sorry girls and Snapchatters, but Fortnite is here to stay.