Avengers: Infinity War – A Decade In the Making

by Eli Duncan, Opinions Editor

Rating: 10/10

Director: Anthony and Joe Russo

Starring: Robert Downey, Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt, Josh Brolin, Tom Holland, Chadwick Boseman, Sebastian Stan, Scarlett Johansson, Elizabeth Olsen, Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Bettany

Release Date: April 27, 2018

MPAA Rating: PG-13

We all love nostalgia. We loved when Tony Stark brought the party to us and when Thor and Loki squared off in Shakespeare in the park. We all chase that nostalgic feeling and the joy it brings us.

The Hulk punching Thor after swinging his mischievous brother Loki around like a ragdoll and all the Avengers just sitting around eating shawarma in a destroyed restaurant are the moments we all love and hope to see in Marvel movies.

From the moment the lights in the theatre turned off to the moment they turned back on, I was hooked. Our love for everything Marvel has put out in the last decade and the optimism we had that each film would be better than the last has paid off.

It would be safe to say that Infinity War shook the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) to its core and nothing will be the same. Forget Superman dying in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice or Spider-Man showing up in Civil War. The entirety of Infinity War will be the standard for comic book movies and the driving force in the rest of Marvel’s movies.

The movie’s big bad guy Thanos, fantastically played by Josh Brolin, forced every character from Iron Man to Rocket Racoon to team up and vanquish the evil that he was about to unleash. The glaring issue with Marvel movies is that you tend to forget the villain quickly. Even the most die-hard fans will find it hard to name the villain in Thor: The Dark World without looking it up.

But Thanos is different. In one of the best fighting scenes in all of comic book movies, Thanos says “I hope they remember you.” Well, Thanos, people will remember you for all the gutwrenching, overwhelming chaos you caused in the MCU.

The commingling of the characters we have come to love over the last ten years, even the new ones, came to tie up loose ends before heading off to stop Thanos from collecting the Infinity Stones he so desires. With that backdrop in mind, it does not take long for our characters to finally unite.

The dynamic of the ego-maniacs of Tony Stark and Doctor Strange clashing made for some of the best frenemy moments in any movie. Think Tony Stark and Captain America trading insults in the first Avengers movie only this time it is between two rich egoists. Then Thor and Star-Lord added some of the funniest moments, although that can probably be credited to the naturally funny Chris Pratt owning every role he plays.

Despite the humor presented early in the film, the audience and the characters knew the universe was in dire need of help. The sadness and the gritty world we see on screen mixed with the witty moments we expect to see in a Marvel movie created one of the best experiences of any comic book movie that has come out.

The humor was great and the heroes are coming off of ten years of fighting (and beating) tough and often otherworldly villains, so what goes wrong? What is the difference between those villains and the brute that is Thanos? Well, a lot.

To start, the Avengers are still broken up following the events of Civil War and the Guardians are somewhere across the universe and Thor, the Hulk, and Loki is on a ship with the rest of the Asgardians following the events of Thor: Ragnarok. Our heroes were not ready for Thanos.

Outside of movie universe, the script writing also caused some problems. Some of the eventual quarrels between the heroes were solved with simple “this is what is going to happen” agreements that are common in action movies like this. Then, the titan that is Thanos could really best any challenge that came his way with his pure strength and brute force, with the exception of one moment in the movie that I can not get into without spoiling one of the most pivotal moments.

However, that was still one of the best moments in the movie. For a man that we have only seen killing his way through planets to help and fighting our beloved heroes with his minimal powers to do a complete 180 degree turn and go into a tender, almost caring moment was interesting to see and brought an interesting quality to a villain that has not been seen since Heath Ledger’s performance as the Joker in 2008’s The Dark Knight.

Unlike other action blockbusters, you can not just turn off your brain for a few hours and have fun watching heroes and a big bad villain duke it out. You can not shake off the stakes of this film, and that is the absolute worst part of the film.

It will leave you hollow, sad, and hopeless in all the best ways.

At one point, Thanos took a page out of the James Bond villain handbook and explained his vision in great detail and how his vision is the right one and must be supported among anything else. It is disgusting and horrible what he wants to do to realize his vision and you can see why he has to be stopped yet the film almost justifies his actions and almost portrays him as the good guy and you were shocked, devastated, and angry with him for kicking the heroes to kingdom come. But you were also excited and happy about what you get to see later on.

This is not a new trope in action but Infinity War redefined it. Never before have we seen established heroes in a completely hopeless situation. We were left feeling hopeless and that the bad guy won. Though the “Part 1” portion of the title was taken out, “Part 2” in 2019 will bring the conclusion (hopefully) to the Infinity War where the heroes can rise up and beat Thanos down like we have seen them do to other villains for the last decade.