“Kamikaze” album review

by Dominique Allen, Junior Editor

Release Date: August 31, 2018

Artist: Eminem

Rating: 9/10

With no warning, Eminem surprises his fans with 13 new songs on August 31 with his new album, Kamikaze.

You can easily take away from the title Kamikaze. In this case, he’s talking about a deadly attack– aka revenge. So that means this album is an angry one. Enjoy!

The album spans a total of 45 minutes, with straight beats and clear lyrics featuring Joyner Lucas, Royce Da 5’9, and Jessie Reyez.

His first track, “The Ringer,” killed it as an introduction. It was full of fast lyrics and disses on new artists and the president. It sort of reminds us that he still has his talents and still outdoes any other rapper. The song is great beats wise and I would definitely listen to it in a fight or when I get pumped up.

For Eminem, his message of the album is to let us know to just be you and do you; do not care about what the rest of the world has to say.

This message is strongest in his “Greatest” song where he’s telling everyone, quite literally, that he’s the greatest in the world.

“Kamikaze,” the song that is named after the album, has a rebellious vibe on top of an upbeat dj-party feel, which made me like it even more. Also, this song features his well known word, “Fack,” in his chorus as he refers to himself as a kamikaze attacker who crashes into everyone.

“Here we go again,” I think, as I listen to the song “Normal” that Eminem wrote for his exes, asking them why he keeps getting involved with girls that are entirely toxic for him. It’s kind of a humorous song. I enjoyed it.  

“Normal” is also a song where he states a common theme of the album, with the lyrics, “Let’s sleep on it like they did Revival.”

Revival was his 2017 album that got plenty of backlash and criticism. The phrase “sleep on it” means to underrate something.

With this, he was trying to say that his Revival album should’ve been more appreciated, and in a way he’s trying to prove all his haters wrong, which is why there are many disses on this CD.

“Stepping Stones,” is similar to his old music. I would say that it’s the first song that’s really like his old music; the beats, his voice and his lyrics.

I love how much this album revolves around his old style while still bringing up some of his newer styles, like featuring modern popular rappers, for example.

I don’t care too much for the songs he features with other artists, such as the song he did with Jessie Reyez. I feel like she ruined the song, especially since her voice is high pitched.

“Not Alike,” featuring the artist, Royce Da 5’9, is repetitive, but it’s the song with the most roasts. For one, right away, he imitates Migos rhymes from “Bad and Boujee” and later on in the song he disses G-Eazy, Tech N9ne, Machine Gun Kelly, and refers to several other artists.  

The album may be focused on revenge and responding back to all the hate from his last album, yet the album’s main goal like all of his other albums is for fun.

Eminem tweeted on August 31, 2018, “Try not to overthink this 1.”