Why Americans Should Buy American Cars

Back to Article
Back to Article

Why Americans Should Buy American Cars

by Joseph David, Copy Editor

On October 1, 1908, the first Ford Model T’s rolled off the assembly line at the Ford Piquette Avenue plant in Detroit, Michigan.

During the T’s production, a span of 19 years, 16.5 million vehicles were sold. Not only had Ford developed the first mass produced vehicle, but the power and sense of American engineering and quality was evident to all people.

Americans could be proud to “buy American.” This feeling lasted for a number of decades as not only were there more American automakers, but the sense that American manufacturing was the “ish” was widespread.

Nowadays, American vehicles are falling behind. The reason for this is largely due to the fact that Americans are not buying American. The individual who calls him or herself an American patriot falls short when a Kia is perched on the driveway. American cars have lost their identity. In the meantime, Americans are doing a huge disservice to themselves when there is no commitment and effort made to support their nation and follow tradition.

This simply has to change.

At the moment, Japanese and Korean cars are taking over the United States. The 2015 Toyota Camry was named as the years “most American car.” Buick is now viewed as being an unrefined, granddaddy’s ride, and advertises itself with the question, “Is that a Buick?” Simply put, Buick, as well as many other American brands, are thought of as unattractive relics from a different time that serve little modern function or purpose. It’s time that this image changes.

Americans have to start buying American cars again.

People talk of “making America great again.” What better place to start than with culture and tradition? Americans have to realize that they are Americans, and that as Americans, you have to buy American. Sophomore Abraham Celis says to “Embrace car culture in the US and drive cars that are exclusive to America.”

It takes commitment, and this commitment can develop a nation of people that is proud of who they are, what they buy, and what they represent. This can all accumulate to develop a national integrity that not only supports the economy, but that promotes and strengthens American culture. Although American cars are priced higher overall than Asian automakers, depending on the brand, it is important to note that when purchasing an American car the country is supported and taken into account as well. A small difference in price makes a huge difference in what you drive and what you represent.

Cars represent what a country drives and what drives a country. So the next time you purchase a car, think American.