Robin Hood review

by Kayla Faasse and Bailey Uzzardo

Director: Otto Bathurst

Starring: Taron Egerton, Eve Hewson, Jamie Dornan, and Jamie Foxx

Release Date: November 21, 2018

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Rating: 8/10

This Robin Hood brings a whole new dimension to the age-old tale.

The traditional Robin Hood is about a hero who steals from the rich and gives to the poor. In this version, this is still the case but the background story is made to be more believable.

The story begins with Robin of Loxley wanting to steal from the Sheriff for selfish reasons. He wanted to get back at the Sheriff for taking his land and all the wrongs the Sheriff has done towards Robin.

It gradually turns into Robin doing it because it’s the right thing to do, as there’s always been that selfless reasoning behind it all.  

The movie got a rating of 15% on Rotten Tomatoes due to the modern twist that left many viewers upset. Many thought that this movie was too different from the original story and didn’t appreciate the way the director added in modern elements.

But even though there were new twists to the story, it was very enjoyable and relates to the current time period.

An example of the movie being made more modern was through the articles of clothing. They did not accurately match up with the time period that the movie took place in.

Many characters in the movie are seen wearing leather jackets, but leather jackets weren’t popularized until the 1940s. This is one of the lesser aspects of the movie that was made modern.

A positive aspect given from Robin Hood was that normally in most movies when there is an arrow man they always seem to have more arrows magically appear in their arrow quiver.

However, Robin was seen picking up and reusing arrows which was a nice feature. You’re not left to wonder where all the arrows are coming from. You also see John making more arrows for Robin to use in each theft.

Taron Egerton proved to be a good match for playing the all mighty thief of Robin Hood. However, it wasn’t Eve Hewson’s best performance. It’s not that she did a horrible job acting, it just could’ve been more convincing. Her emotions towards Robin were poorly portrayed and this could also be because of how it was written.

Jamie Foxx, on the other hand, did a great job, however, portraying Robin Hood’s mentor. He showed a lot of emotion that you could hear in his voice.

The ending of Robin Hood led many to believe there’s going to be a sequel since the whole issue that Robin faced wasn’t yet solved and only left more complicated.