The Time France Turned Yellow

A
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Time France Turned Yellow

A

A

Michel Euler

A

Michel Euler

Michel Euler

A

by Eli Duncan, Editor-in-Chief

France is no stranger to a revolution. This new one is for the everyman. French law requires people to have a yellow vest in the car, so it is a symbol that everyone knows. Starting in November to protest the high cost of living, poorer members of the French population rose up to protest President Macron’s high taxation on everything from fuel to carbon. It quickly became about how France is largely losing its national identity and culture by the rising plague of globalisation.

On the first day of the protests, three hundred thousand yellow vests went out to protest. This number is small compared to the millions of members the movement boasts today.

National identity is dying due to the culture that runs the world now, and that is an issue. Add that to higher taxes and the only people winning the culture war are the political hacks that run France. The French have always been proud of their country and their national identity, and whatever the media says, that has not changed.

For eleven straight weeks yellow vests have flooded the streets and inspired many to join them. They have won a few battles, including cancelling the tax on fuel, a moratorium on raising diesel prices, and eliminate end of year bonus tax and the overtime tax. I commend the yellow vest protesters.

Their ultimate goal is to force the resignation of President Macron and his government. His government has made France and her people worse off than they were before and poll numbers show that only 26% of the French people are confident in Macron. Compare that to the “low” approval ratings of President Trump, who typically hovers around 40% and you can see how bad following the trend of politics can get you. Trump and Macron are most always on opposing sides of the political spectrum.

On top of his approval rating, the tides of politics are changing in France. The “far-right” party and leader Marine le Pen faced off against President Macron in the 2017 election and got a commendable 33% of the vote while her party gained seats in the French Parliament.

This movement will propel the right-wing parties into power much like how the social situation in the United States pushed Donald Trump into power.

The older generation is not into rising globalization and the refugees that are being funneled into their once great nation. Add that to the teenagers that fall into the Gen Z category, which is the most conservative generation since World War Two, and you get full scale protests that will not stop until they succeed.

I stand by the French much like I stand by the Catalonians who want to break away. The people see their government is not helping them or using them for the federal government’s own goals and the people want their voice heard.

Vivre la revolucion, gilets jaunes!