New Year, New Tests

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Year, New Tests

by Jordyn Selznick and Olivia Stedeford

It’s only been four weeks since the school year has started and the sophomore and senior classes have already been bombarded by the knowledge of numerous amounts of required testing. 

But, the sophomore class is off the hook. The mandatory testing that the sophomore class has to conduct is a series of testing, similar to the ACT, called “MAP” testing. But don’t be mistaken, it’s not about the actual map. The Measures of Academic Progress test is a cumulative test taken throughout one’s academic career.

“The Map testing is an indicator and a predictor on how you are going to score on the ACT or SAT,” said Mrs. Mapes, the head of the history department at Palo Verde High School. 

Not only will MAP testing help in the future of SAT and ACT preparation, but it will also show the growth that a student shows overall twelve years of schooling. 

“It can track kids for years. From elementary school and middle, we get data from the CRT and SBACK, but then teachers have no records of the children’s growth from the point on,” said Mapes. This new form of testing will help teachers determine the proper placement of students in classes, and determine educational success based on all of the data from the testing. 

MAP testing happens from kindergarten through tenth grade consecutively to truly determine student’s academic growth and help students further accomplish success for their college admission testing. 

As well as sophomores having to take MAP testing, seniors also have a newly required test. 

This year, in particular, seniors don’t get the easy way out. From the addition of a finance class within their government classes, Seniors now have to complete and pass a required Civics exam at the end of their senior year in order to graduate. 

“The Civics Exam is linked to the United States citizenship test and the civics portion is more personal finance and basic economics such as supply and demand and fiscal policy,” said Mapes. 

But this year, seniors only needto achieve a 60% to pass and get the credit for graduation.

After years of demand for a “real-life situation” class, the district has now required a civics portion of the government class to be incorporated in the curriculum. 

As well as the Senior and Sophomore classes having required testing, the junior class is also required to take the ACT in order to graduate. But this has already been known. 

Not only are the ACT’s the biggest problem for high school students in the future, but newly district-mandated tests now put an even bigger burden on students. Since this is the first year for the MAP and Civics testing, we can only wait and see the outcome for student’s future endeavors.