Senior Spotlight: Madi Ramirez

by Malia Ishibashi, Managing Editor

Whether it’s hitting the mats, capturing the perfect picture, or spending time with family, Madi Ramirez is always on the move. Ramirez is involved in three types of combat sports, creates art in her AP 3D Special Effects class and enjoys spending time on photography.

Introduced to Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu at the age of nine, it’s no surprise that Ramirez now finds herself as Co-Captain of the Palo Varsity Girls’ Wrestling team. That’s where she enjoys leading the team in warm-ups and setting examples as a leader for the younger team members.

Madison is what I call a quiet professional using military terms. She is always a hard worker and gets in the room smiling and leaves smiling. Her actions speak louder than her words.  She sets a great example in the room. She has what I call Duck Feathers, water just rolls off.  So, if she is in a tough situation on the mat she never panics, she exudes confidence,” said Coach Wade Gunter of the Palo Girls’ Varsity Wrestling Team.

Joining the Girls’ JV Wrestling team as a freshman, she then fell in love with the sport. 

“At first, I didn’t know there was wrestling in high school, especially girls’ wrestling because it was mostly a male dominated sport and even during my freshman year, there weren’t many girls. It just seemed natural for me to participate in combat sports at school.”

Ramirez then leveled up to the Girls’ Varsity Wrestling Team in her sophomore year and has stayed on the Varsity team since then. During quarantine, Ramirez joined a wrestling club team when the season for Palo wasn’t around, called the Legends of Gold, which provided her with the opportunity to improve some of her skills.

“I learned to start going for takedowns and to get more aggressive”, said Ramirez.

While being part of a combat sport is thrilling, her other passion is photography.  She particularly enjoys capturing moments that many people wouldn’t know to remember. She also loves taking pictures of her family. As she got used to using her camera, her interest in the hobby opened her eyes to really seeing the little things in life that makes everything so different. 

Ramirez said, “I usually take wildlife shots because it shows the people viewing the image things they don’t see in their everyday lives. And I also like action shots, because it captures movement in images that makes them interesting.”

Ramirez aspires to improve her photography skills in order to become a professional photographer. As a senior this year, Ramirez is planning to cherish every moment, whether that’s through the lens of her camera or making wonderful memories with her teammates and friends around her.